Thursday 4 June 2009

Read Not What My Mind Says...


Read not what my mind says, originally uploaded by I Am Martin!.

So today I'm going to vote for the first time. I'm not sure who I'll be voting for as yet.

The recent (and I hate to use media speak but..) 'global recession', 'credit crisis' and 'expenses scandal' don't really encourage first time voters like myself to journey to the polling station.

I think it's important to vote, despite not voting in previous local elections. I heard a lady on the radio yesterday encouraging everyone to vote but then she said "Even if you go and just spoil your paper".. Surely theres more point in not even attending rather than going and spoiling your paper?

Odd isn't it, recent scandals and such...Now we have to vote different thieves in. Tarnishing MP's the same brush? Probably. There are more than likely some honest MP's, but in the minority.

Depsite my best efforts, I've tried not to let the media manipulate my decision making when it comes to voting but as the only outlet of news and information regarding politics it's been hard not to. Over the past 2 or 3 days I've seen nearly every media outlet upping the pressure and speculation on Gordon Brown and rebel back-benchers signing a notion of 'no confidence' in their leader... An indication on how powerful the media is.

When it comes to making my decision I believe there needs to be a change at the top i.e. Labour being defeated in the next general election. Do I have confidence in voting Conservative? No. Cameron reminds me of one of those annoying kids at school who think they know it all, always quick to pick up on other people's faults. I know he has to do this in order to get people liking him and disliking G.Brown but I'm not keen on his style.

The country needs a charismatic leader, someone to excite the nation and make the public want to vote for a particular party to gain power rather than voting for a lesser party in order to get the current powers out of office. That would be 'change', a true reform of government and modern politics.

I look forward to the results.

1 comment:

  1. Nice shot there Martin. It is always interesting to see other countries reactions to their own government. Across the pond but not so different.

    ReplyDelete